Constitutional Act No. 110/1998 Coll., on the Security of the Czech Republic as subsequently amended, stipulates that it is the State’s basic duty to ensure the Czech Republic’s sovereignty and territorial integrity, the protection of its democratic foundations and the protection of lives, health and property.
This Act stipulates that the security of the Czech Republic is to be ensured by its armed forces, the armed security corps, rescue corps and emergency services. State authorities, bodies of self-governing territorial units and natural and legal persons are obliged to participate in safeguarding the Czech Republic’s security.
Intelligence services play an important and irreplaceable role in the security system of the Czech Republic by collecting, gathering and evaluating information essential for the security of the Czech Republic, and by promptly identifying security threats and risks.
Legal provisions providing for the status of the individual intelligence services differ, e.g. regarding the way directors are appointed or dismissed. Nevertheless, Czech intelligence services are equal partners as far the fulfillment of their tasks and other duties is concerned. The Government assigns tasks to all of the intelligence services, co-ordinates their activities and supervises the fulfillment of their tasks.
The Security Strategy of the Czech Republic is an essential conceptual document of the State’s security policy.
The Security Strategy of the Czech Republic defines vital, strategic and other important interests of the Czech Republic, general security risks, long-term plans and measures aimed at ensuring good conditions for the development and prosperity of the Czech Republic and at the security of its citizens.
- Constitutional Act No. 1/1993 Coll., Constitution of the Czech Republic
- Constitutional Act No. 23/1991 Coll., Introducing the Charter of Fundamental Rights and Freedoms as a Constitutional Act of the Federal Assembly of the Czech and Slovak Federal Republic
- Constitutional Act No. 110/1998 Coll., on the Security of the Czech Republic
- Subsequent defense and crisis legislation (acts and implementing regulations)
- Act No. 153/1994 Coll., on the Intelligence Services of the Czech Republic
- Act No. 154/1994 Coll., on the Security Information Service